Tuesday, October 1, 2019

October 1, 2019


Let's Show Off This Month!

Confession: I'm a Midwestern girl at heart. I may have lived in South Texas most of my life, but old habits die hard, and when the promise of cooler weather hangs in the air, I drag out my "fall decorating" boxes and fill the nooks and crannies of my house with orange and gold leaves, pumpkins, and dried corn that remind me of my roots. Anyone who visits cannot doubt that I value the season. 

As a district, we're spending a lot of time talking about reading and writing this year. We're writing about what we read. We're writing to show what we know. We're writing to figure out what we think. We're writing to tell our story.  Our classroom walls and hallways (or webpages, Twitter posts, and blogs) offer us the opportunity to showcase that writing and cement its value into the hearts and minds of our students. Let's fill the nooks and crannies of our physical and virtual classrooms this month with student writing!

ESL Spotlight

If you would like to attend any of the trainings at THIS site, please email me. There are trainings specific to content areas as well as general ESL topics.

Formative Assessment Spotlight




I'm blessed to belong to some amazing Google Classrooms across the district. Lisa Gherman, who hosts the AES Teach with Tech Google classroom, recently posted a link to Make Beliefs Comix, one of my fav online comic tools. Matt Miller of Ditch that Textbook, says, "Comic strips can make writing fun even for the most reluctant writer. " I concur! For the under third grade crowd, this this tool offers a  great opportunity to write captions to teacher-generated comics as a group. The third and up crowd will manage navigating the nuances of the website independently. Want to save your creation? Simply "save image to disk" and post your comic anywhere you can post an image. (Want to join the AES Teach with Tech Classroom? Use this code: k9uuvio)